BADJ Day 11: A successful frustration

So I coded and recoded, tested and retested a Object Pool class with a high degree of success and frustration. I wrote and tested three different pool managers, here’s the story…

Objective: Centralized management of pools

This one was easy. There is a PoolManager that has a static method to get a pool for a certain class. If the pool for that class does not exist, it is created, if it does, it is returned. Objective achieved.

Objective: Lightweight pools

I don’t need pools to be amazingly complex, I just need the pools to get the job done, which is: be faster at getting new objects at the expense of memory. That didn’t go very well. The pools were lightweight alright, but I was not able to make it any faster than creating a objective directly.

This lead to the three versions of the pool manager and still the best performance gain is below 5% for any Bold Pixel entity. I was so frustrated, but then I saw the light!

Not my fault really

After testing and more testing I had a epiphany! What if Bold Pixel’s entities are simply too light to make pooling worth. It would not be something I’d consider. It really never crossed my mind that a instancing a object could be faster than getting it from a linked list kind of pool, but it is and the classes I was dealing with are somewhat heavy considering the inheritance and and composition of several.

The highest gain I got was 8ms in 1000 object. Creating 1000 objects took 54ms and getting 1000 objects from the object pool took 46ms.

The unexpected success

So either my classes are very light or flash behaves rather poorly in managing this. So I tested against some movie clip I had around. Creating 1000 movie clips took 102ms, almost doubling the worst case scenario.

Not only I was happy to note that my classes are lightweight, both pool manager and entity type classes, but I also proved that getting movie clips would make a difference.

Conclusion

I’m not happy with the pool manager for now, but I’ll work on it some other day. It gets the job done, but the objects I really wanted to make a better use of pooling are the ones that problably will have less impact.

If I regret anything in this bits of code is that I over engineered it at first. Tomorrow blit engine!

Posted: October 7th, 2010
at 12:56am by Vlad

Tagged with , , , ,


Categories: Dev Journal: Bruce Ali

Comments: 8 comments